UPDATED: Deadly wind chills expected through Tuesday
Monday, January 06, 2014 8:19 AM
Putnam County Sheriff Mike Chandler indicates on his Facebook site that the level 3 emergency is still in effect and will remain so as long as the wind stays as strong as it is. Temperatures are expected to remain frigid during the day, making wind chill a serious issue. He indicates most of the main roads are passable, but continue to drift.
WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EST /7 PM CST/ TUESDAY... ... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST /3 PM CST/ THIS AFTERNOON...
* THE ACCUMULATING SNOW HAS ENDED BUT GUSTY WEST WINDS OF 20 TO 35 MPH WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS TO 40 MPH ARE EXPECTED THROUGH THE DAY. THIS WILL CAUSE SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WHICH WILL LIKELY KEEP MANY ROADS IMPASSABLE OR RESTRICTED TO SINGLE LANES.
* NEAR STEADY OR SLOWLY FALLING TEMPERATURES IN THE 5 TO 15 BELOW ZERO RANGE ARE EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON... BEFORE TEMPERATURES FALL TONIGHT INTO THE 10 TO 20 BELOW ZERO RANGE. DEADLY WIND CHILLS BETWEEN 30 BELOW AND 45 BELOW ZERO CAN BE EXPECTED THROUGH TUESDAY.
* ROADS ARE SNOW COVERED... SLICK AND HAZARDOUS. SIGNIFICANT DRIFTING SNOW WILL CAUSE ROADWAYS TO BE PARTIALLY OR FULLY IMPASSABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME.
* VISIBILITIES MAY BE REDUCED AT TIMES DUE TO THE BLOWING SNOW THROUGH THE REST OF THE DAY.
* FROST BITE AND HYPOTHERMIA WILL OCCUR IN A MATTER OF MINUTES WITH THESE EXPECTED WIND CHILLS. DEATH WILL ALSO OCCUR IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.
A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW ALONG WITH DEADLY WIND CHILLS ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.
A WIND CHILL WARNING MEANS THE COMBINATION OF VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE DANGEROUSLY LOW WIND CHILL VALUES. THIS WILL RESULT IN FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA OR DEATH IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.